Myles's Reviews > Castle in the Air

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from April 07 to 09, 2011

DWJ Book Toast, #7

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

And that's...what I'm going to do. She's left behind a huge body of work, a large amount of which I haven't read yet, so I'm going to reread all my old favorites (and hopefully some new).

It's very silly of me to want Diana Wynne Jones to have done something typical or expected, especially knowing how the Chrestomanci books go, but when I started reading Castle in the Air all I wanted to read about was Sophie, Calcifer, Howl and the rest. This dimmed my appreciation for Abdullah and the Zanzib setting at first.

So don't worry if you're a little impatient like me, Sophie and the rest come along. Jones writing from the perspective of someone new to experiencing magic works out a whole lot better than picking back up with the old characters immediately, who would have identified too much for the reader too fast.

A fun installment for sure, but the prophesied love story just doesn't do it for me. Fate is a powerful motivator, but I think Jones' characters are best when they have more leeway to make their own decisions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Castle in the Air.

04/09/2011 page 74

message 1: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Seeing how much you like the author, and how much I like fantasy novels, I have added her to my "to get" list in my lil Moleskine.

Do you have any recommendations as to where to start?

Myles Thanks Amelia, Dark Lord of Derkholm is my absolute favorite and the first I read of her.

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Duly noted. Thank you, Sir!