Lamia's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Jan 01, 15

bookshelves: complete-series, 2011, adult-fiction, meh-fest, high-fantasy
Recommended to Lamia by: rameau
Read from August 19 to 31, 2011

This is a very peculiar book. I'm not used to such an introspective narration in fantasy, and it lessened the experience a great deal for me. The world building was very well done, but considering you can only see everything through the eyes of the narrator, the whole concept loses some of its excitement. And while Hobb's writing is good in itself, the format she chose to write the book in is quite puzzling. It's a memoir, told from an unknown point in the future, and it kind of makes you a lot more detached from the narrator. I can feel sorry for Fitz, and I can experience events as he does but I'm not particularly attached to him. It's quite strange, really.

I actually didn't intend to pick up the sequel, but as it often does, the pace quickened quite a bit towards the end and I'm curious as to how Fitz will be welcomed back in Buckkeep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

rameau Hee! How are you liking it so far? It's one of those books I like to talk about so prepare to be harassed.

Lamia rameau wrote: "Hee! How are you liking it so far? It's one of those books I like to talk about so prepare to be harassed."

The narration is very peculiar because the narrator seems to know what the dog thinks? I'm guessing it'll be explained

rameau Yes, it'll be explained later and it's a huge part of the story.

Lamia rameau wrote: "Yes, it'll be explained later and it's a huge part of the story."

I'm a lot more intrigued now. The narration is a bit too introspective for my taste, but the plot is really interesting. I'm excited :D

message 5: by rameau (last edited Aug 31, 2011 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

rameau I think I have better memories of this book than of the actual reading experience itself. Well, after the second time around. It ages like fine wine. Let's see how you like the other books, they're pretty much indistinguishable to me.

EDA: Indistinguishable in the sense of so tightly knitted together that it's nearly impossible to comment one without spoiling the others. Not in the sense of unintelligible.

Lamia rameau wrote: "I think I have better memories of this book than of the actual reading experience itself. Well, after the second time around. It ages like fine wine. Let's see how you like the other books, they're..."

I hate the fact that you can never doubt Fitz is alive. I want suspense, damn it.

rameau You mean the other kind of suspense isn't enough for you? You're not contented to wonder what happened to the people around him and how that affected him?

Ah, well, I guess I can remember being a bit put off by the very same fact when I first read these books, but I had another set of issues and complaints the second time around. Like the fact that I still consider this to be the weakest of the original three. Let's discus the status of Tawny Man as canonized fanfiction another time. If you're still interested then.

Maria Schneider I found it so depressing and slow-moving.

Miriam the format he chose to

Robin Hobb is a woman, btw.

rameau Miriam wrote: "the format he chose to

Robin Hobb is a woman, btw."

I didn't even notice that. My mind auto-replaced it with she.

Maria, on a certain level, I agree, it's slow moving and depressing. But I also have fond memories because when I first read it, the style fit me. Now, things have changed and I'd like snappier storytelling, but I do appreciate the details Hobb included.

I can't exactly say the same for rest of her novels though, because I didn't read those as a teen.