Andrea Arana's Reviews > A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

Apr 06, 11

Read in March, 2011

My opinion on A Modest Proposal that it's a well-written, satirical essay stating that persuading the readers about how to alleviate poverty in Ireland when in truth, the real reason why he wrote thus essay is to "point fingers" at England for taking away their rights, putting taxes on everything and exploiting them to humiliation and ignorance, but also to keep control over the country. Even the title is an understatement. He says that its he's stating the obvious when he's saying that this essay isn't modest or goodhearted, since he's blaming England for all their troubles in the first place. He's also saying that his essay is superior than everyone elses because THEIR essays has some consequence while HIS essay doesn't have that consequence and doesn't cost anything. It's great for english assignments and giving you one of the mosdt perfect examples of satire in all of English Literature.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modest Proposal.

04/06/2011 "It's a very well-written satirical problem/solution essay ephasizing both the exploited impoverished Irish citizens and saying "we should eat the orphaned children" to rid us of our poverty state that the British put them in that situation for not giving them he right to vote, putting taxes on food and selling their belongings to at least have some money for food on the table and come up with a funny, but serious way"