Virginia's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

May 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011books, library, balticon
Read from April 06 to May 02, 2011

It is not fair to end a book on a cliffhanger like this! I need to read the sequel!! I stayed up until 2am to finish this book, and if I did not have to go to work today, I would be reading the next one right now.

I picked this up at the library - I read Doomsday Book and LOVED it, but I didn't realize that it was part of a series! I was browsing for something else to read, read the inside flap of this one, and snatched it up. Same characters, some of them! Time travel! Awesome.

This book is also extremely good. I cannot think of a single character that I disliked. Even though this was split up among a variety of viewpoints, as a reader, I was rooting for everyone. I was pretty equally interested in everyone's story. I do think I would be deeply confused if I hadn't read Doomsday Book first - this book does not get into very much detail about the mechanism of time travel, the rules that historians have to follow. The constant references to how Mr. Dunworthy would have pulled the historians out in case of any trouble would definitely be confusing. I did get a little frustrated with the characters who all took SUCH a long time to realize that their drops were not working - something I figured out after the first time it was mentioned. It was also a little frustrating that some of the characters & storylines were dropped, and not picked up again in this book. (I assume they will be in the next one.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.