Hadrian's Reviews > The Cantos

The Cantos by Ezra Pound

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: poetry
Read in November, 2011

Phew. This is something. I feel like I've run a marathon, and I've only picked at parts of these.

This is a wholly absorbing set of poetry. Approximately 120 cantos which start off reminiscing about the Renaissance, going through all eras and ages of history, citing letters, missives, pamphlets, rages. History as poetry, a grand tour. Chinese characters, intricate, representing ideas and names and figures.

The chant, USURA, elicits rage and greed and war, and the titanic struggles against corruption and ideology which have consumed this past century and which still rage in this one.

As much I find Pound the man abhorrent and mad, but as for Pound the poet, he is a force. I will reread this.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cantos.

05/02 marked as: read

Eric 'History as poetry, a grand tour.'

Nice line, Hadrian!

Hadrian Thanks, Eric!

Eric Hadrian wrote: "Thanks, Eric!

I really should reread this. Now that my Chinese is marginally better, and I can now see the ... unconventional ways Pound uses it."

Yes! There's some Chinese in his guide to kulchur, too, which I think you recently added to be read, and I'm guessing there's plenty of it in his 'Confucius'.