Amanda Pearl's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, bir-2011, romance, cover-love, 2011-release, bir-2013
Read from May 15 to 16, 2011

I don't know how to rate this book. I love the cover, so it gets at least 2 stars for the art alone. But then it loses stars for the completely ridiculous science/economic/social inconsistencies that make the premise for the life of the characters. But then it gains stars for the characters themselves, which I really loved. It also gains stars for the descriptive and impressive writing style. I'm torn!

*********UPDATE WITH SPOILERS*********

ok after much consideration here's how the star math goes. (Don't read if you don't want spoilers)

+2 for the cover art
-1 for the illogical end of the world scenario
-1 for the illogical "virus" that comes from genetic manipulation
+1 for pretty dresses (whatever, don't judge)
+1 for addressing polygamy in a way that isn't 100% vile
+1 for a female character sticking to her ideals
-1 for not consummating the marriage (doesn't make any sense)
+1 for Jenna being a bad ass prostitute
+1 for elements of subterfuge and conspiracy theory (just what exactly was going on in that basement?)
-2 for then not answering questions raised by said subterfuge and conspiracy theory.
+1 for making me want to read the next book in the series.

TOTAL= 3 stars

Overall, this book is an awesome romance/stockholm syndrome book, but a really shitty science ficiton book. However, I think the positives of the narritive outweigh the pretend science.

***UPDATE re-read 6/25/2013***

I Just finished re-reading this after 2 years and I still agree with my original review. The writing is very well done, but the science fiction and dystopian society is inconsistant and really takes me out of the story. Also (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

05/16/2011 page 50
06/17/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/17/2013 page 1
0.0% "yes I know, I'm re-reading it because I own this entire series and I want to decide if I should keep them or not, so I'm powering through the audio books."
06/24/2013 page 285
79.0% "good writing, boring story"
06/25/2013 marked as: read