Wendy F's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

4019599
Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: tear-jerker, ya-na, 2012
Read from February 27 to 29, 2012

I'm not sure how to review this book... I think Stacia said the same thing, lol.

On one hand, I have a hard time reading books about WWII. It was such a bleak sad time, and very little happy happens. Funny, I was going to type that the whole book feels like shades of gray, very little yellow, but then I thought of the title and realized how apt that is.

I probably would have bawled my eyes out in the end, which is why it's a tear jerker, if I hadn't finished it at work. This was a beautiful, sad story.

My last thought, (view spoiler).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes there is such beauty in awkwardness.”

Ruta Sepetys
“November 20. Andrius's birthday. I had counted the days carefully. I wished him a happy birthday when I woke and thought about him while hauling logs during the day. At night, I sat by the light of the stove, reading Dombey and Son. Krasivaya. I still hadn't found the word. Maybe I'd find it if I jumped ahead. I flipped through some of the pages. A marking caught my eye. I leafed backward. Something was written in pencil in the margin of 278.
Hello, Lina. You've gotten to page 278. That's pretty good!
I gasped, then pretened I was engrossed in the book. I looked at Andrius's handwritting. I ran my finger over this elongated letters in my name. Were there more? I knew I should read onward. I couldn't wait. I turned though the pages carefully, scanning the margins.
Page 300:
Are you really on page 300 or are you skipping ahead now?
I had to stifle my laughter.
Page 322:
Dombey and Son is boring. Admit it.
Page 364:
I'm thinking of you.
Page 412:
Are you maybe thinking of me?
I closed my eyes.
Yes, I'm thinking of you. Happy birthday, Andrius.

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes kindness can be delivered in a clumsy way. But it's far more sincere in its clumsiness than those distinguished men you read about in books. Your father was very clumsy.”

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of this one.

Wendy F I'm hoping to start it today! I'm nervous because it is such a heavy read.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's a heavier subject, but the book itself is a pretty easy read. I was involved within a few pages...and the ending leaves you with some hope, so it's not like you're going to be walking around depressed for a while after, like some books can tend to make you feel.

Wendy F I'm eager to read it. It may have to wait until after my Lover Revealed reread since that starts tomorrow and I haven't been able to read all day, lol.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Tell me you read the author notes?!?

Wendy F I absolutely read the notes, and I was sitting at work and swallowing so hard. my throat was burning. But it started from the moment that (view spoiler), pretty much through the authors note.

If I had been home I would have sobbed.