Liz (Consumed by Books)'s Reviews > Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: 4-star, graphic-novels, own, young-adult, pitt-book-club
Read on September 17, 2011

You know the rule from Ghostbusters where “If someone asks if you’re a god, you say, ‘Yes!’”? Well, when Neil Gaiman claims that something is a masterpiece, I run out and buy a copy right away. I’d pre-ordered Anya’s Ghost this summer and after sticking it in my box of books to go to school, I was pretty excited that my new book club picked it for a group read. Although Anya’s Ghost was beautiful, well-plotted and captivating in so many ways, it left me wanting more in a bad way.

I loved the artwork in Anya’s Ghost. Not only is the book nicely laid out but every single image was filled with emotion and story. Anya is a fantastic main character because she struggles with her desire to fit in versus what makes her Anya, which is something that I think nearly everyone confronts at some point.

Once the plotline of Anya’s Ghost took off, I couldn’t put the book down. I had to know how the story ended. As I turned the final pages of Anya’s Ghost, I found myself saying, “But I wanted more!” Sometimes leaving a reader with this feeling is a sign of an amazing book, and while I think Brosgol has talent, I actually felt like I didn’t get enough. Brosgol tied up the plot nicely, and all of her characters were unique and well developed. However, I almost felt as though she could’ve given a few of her characters a little bit more show time, but didn’t because she wanted to avoid having her ghost story labeled as a paranormal romance. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

My one complaint was not enough to stop me from enjoying this story. If anyone asked me for a good graphic novel, I’d recommend Anya’s Ghost in a heartbeat. I hope Brosgol continues to publish graphic novels, because I am hungry for more of her artwork and stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anya's Ghost.

09/18/2011 page 224