Lisa's Reviews > Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save BIG Money & Make the Grocery Aisle Your Catwalk!

Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey by Joanie Demer

Apr 06, 2011

Read in April, 2011

UPDATE 2013- the Couponing world has changed for the worst. Probably because of books like this where the information and knowledge is now highly excess to the general public. Back in the day, if you wanted to learn about using coupons you either needed to learn it from someone or take workshops that cost hundreds of dollars. When I first read read this book I feared the coupon market would shift and it did. People all around the U.S. are cashing in on their knowledge and you can find books and blog galore. You don't even really have to work hard to find the deals because blogs do it for you. I bought this book in 2011 and in 2 years the coupon market has changed so much. Yes, there are still deals to be had but manufacturers are reducing the dollar amount of their coupons and adding more and more stipulations. I use to get great deals on so many things. Now the savings aren't as much. The prices are getting closer and closer to what I pay at Costco or a no name brands. It's disheartening and maybe in a few years the coupon height will have faded and people will forget about it. This book has taught me so much but unfortunately, it's taught everyone else and literally done its part in fracturing the world of Couponing.<\i>

UPDATE: Okay, it's been several month since I've made this review and because of this book I've started saving a few hundred dollars a month. I wanted to get my grocery bill down to $300 a month but I'm not sure that is possible with the time I invest in doing this. I think it depends where you live. I live in Souther Ca. where prices are high and coupon policies suck. Not so much savings on my regular groceries but other items like deodorant, toothpaste, tampons, razors, etc. I get for as low as FREE. Especial toothpaste. I've already got 6 or more tubes that were all free if not moneymakers. There probably is a way to save more but would require more time and effort. If your new to couponing, I'd definitely start with this book.

I am so excited!!!!! This book has shed so much light on how to save money at the grocery store. I have been struggling for years to reduce my grocery bill. I buy generic brands, shop the ads and occasionally use coupons. I have even gone to dollar stores and Mexican supermarkets to save money. Having a husband and two young children my grocery bill comes to about $1000 a month. Yup! 1000 D-O-L-L-A-R-S!!!!! Reducing my grocery bill has been an on going challenge. Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey has been such an inspiration to read. There are no gimmicks or sales pitches. They tell you exactly what you need to know to save money.

I loved that two young stay at home moms wrote the book. I am sometimes embarrassed to use coupons but this book has given me the confidence to ignore those irrational feelings. I encourage everyone to read this book. Be forewarned it's not going to be a walk in the park to save hundreds of dollars a month. You will have to put your time and effort to save significant savings. It's up to you to decide if your time and energy is worth it. The authors of the book have taken their grocery bills of $800-1000 a month and reduced it down to $150-200 a month. For a few hours a week, I think it's well worth my time and effort. I hope to update this review in a few months to report all my savings. Wish me good luck!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey.