Emilie Richards's Reviews > The Vicar's Daughter

1922603
Apr 06, 2011

liked it
Read in April, 2011

I enjoyed many things about this novel, including some of MacDonald's theological outpourings. But it changed from the story of a Victorian family to a theological and social discourse about half way through, and while I found that interesting, it was like buying a cat and getting a dog. Still, for a peek into Victorian attitudes (liberal ones) and the beginning of a move away from paternalism into democracy (but only the beginning) it was fascinating. I kept wondering what MacDonald would make of our present society and wished he were here to tell us.

I loaded this on my eBook simply because of the title, and I'm glad I did. Next I'd like to try his fantasy, which was an inspiration to C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll. No higher praise than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vicar's Daughter.

06/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa If you liked CS Lewis's Narnia series, you will really enjoy the Princess & the Goblin series. It is so enjoyable, but with definite parallels along several religious themes. We read the series after my son saw a animated version. It was perfect for the family, and I was engaged as well.