Jessie's Reviews > Harry Potter Boxset

F 50x66
Apr 28, 2008

Recommended for: ages 7-50
Read in January, 2001

** spoiler alert ** I started reading these while I was still in grade one, which was a few months after the movie had come out. I had absolutely loved the movie, so my parents decided to get me the third one for Christmas 2001 (they knew I'd be able to read it even though I was only 6 at the time).

But, they had gotten the third. And by Christmas the next year, I had it finished! I loved, it, and immediately checked out the first book. I was not disappointed.

The second book, however, almost made me cry, it was so awful! I had read two amazing books then -whop!- a big, fat bomb. Don't read Chamber of Secrets if you can help it.

Then I read the fourth. It was - and still is - the most amazing book I have ever read. Not only does it have a half-decent length, it was extremely excellent!

And then I waited, and waited on the list at my library for the fifth! It too was great.

The sixth was okay, and I really loved it.

DEATHLY HALLOWS IS DEATHLY. I mean it. It's a wonder I survived. I was extremely p'd off after this book. Harry and Ron did not die. I almost screamed. Especially when Harry "came back to life." Snape died - I was so sad.

At the end of book seven's epilogue, I slammed it shut and had it in the air to throw across the room when someone asked me what I was doing (it took me only about 3 1/2 hours to read). It calmed me down.

Please, safe a life! Don't read book 7's epilogue. Go read some Post-Hogwarts fanfiction instead.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter Boxset.

03/21 marked as: read

message 1: by Jeb (new)

Jeb My mom is 54 and still likes them.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly I think that I have to agree with you for the most part. I loved all the books (even Chamber of Secrets), but had a very hard time with book 7, as well. I understand that Rowling felt it necessary to kill someone, but the people she killed didn't deserve to die. I have reread all the books at least once, expect that one. I don't think I can bear to read Fred dying all over again. It should have been Percy. And Snape...jeez. Like I said, I mostly agree with you, book seven was just depressing...and the epilogue wasn't necessary, it left nothing to the imagination and I like books that leave a little left unsaid and give the reader somethign to think about.

loki I would't advise skipping chamber of secrets, it has a lot of infomration that turns out important for the plot in HBP and DH