Jemidar's Reviews > Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Nov 29, 12

bookshelves: buddy-reads-with-kim, micks-books, other-fiction
Read from September 18 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 3

This was at least my third reading of this excellent novella, and I found my love for Steinbeck's clear, crisp prose remained undiminished as did my awe for the way this heartrending tragedy unfolds. However, I found the story had less overall impact on me this time around, it seemed like too much was packed into too short a space in both time and pages which left me with unanswered questions, and overall I think I cared a lot less about the subject matter than I had on previous readings. I suspect it's my reading tastes that have changed rather than being the fault of the book though as it's been some twenty odd years since I read it last.

I've left my rating at four stars because it's still well written and technically achieves a great deal in approximately one hundred pages, so therefore in my opinion deserves them, but I'm just not as enthusiastic about it as I once was.

Another buddy read with my dear friend Kim :-).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Mice and Men.

09/18/2012 page 106

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Oops, I hadn't noted this as a buddy read and I started reading it this morning. I'll stop until you're ready to read it too.

Jemidar We can slot it in now if you want to keep reading as it doesn't take long. I'm nearly caught up with CoD,CoL :-).

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim That would be good. I only read for a short time and I'm already 30% through. Looks like it's only 100 or so pages long.

Jemidar Yep, it's very short. I was just about to go do some reading so I'll get this one out and start.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Both my kids did this book for Eng Lit!

Jemidar So did I. It's a reread for me.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna I've never read it and probably never will, I equate it with nagging revision hell! Enjoy your re-read :-)

Susan Johnson My favorite Steinbeck is "East of Eden". We just read "To a God Unknown" for book club. It was good. I was in Monterey this week, Steinbeck's stumping grounds. Even visited his house in Salinas.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Susan wrote: "My favorite Steinbeck is "East of Eden". We just read "To a God Unknown" for book club. It was good. I was in Monterey this week, Steinbeck's stumping grounds. Even visited his house in Salinas."

I'm listening to East of Eden at the moment and loving it. I'd never read any Steinbeck before I went to Monterey in February this year. Going to Monterey was what prompted me to read Cannery Row. Now I'm kicking myself that we didn't swing by Salinas on our way through. Oh well, hopefully they'll be a next time!

Susan Johnson Kim wrote: "Susan wrote: "My favorite Steinbeck is "East of Eden". We just read "To a God Unknown" for book club. It was good. I was in Monterey this week, Steinbeck's stumping grounds. Even visited his house ..."
Kim, I am so impressed you're from Sydney and went to Monterey. Did you go to the Aquarium? The house was great and I bought bookmarks for my book club. It's a tradition we have that when we go anywhere we bring home bookmarks. It's cheap and easy to pack.
I did not carry for Steinbeck as a high school student but love him now.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Susan wrote: "Did you go to the Aquarium? ..."

We didn't, Susan. We have a big Aquarium here, we were in Monterey on a weekend when it was very busy at Cannery Row and frankly, I'm not that interested in looking at fish. But we stayed in Pacific Grove, which was lovely, and we had a great time walking around Cannery Row and then around Monterey. We were very glad that we decided to stay in the area on our way from SFO to LA.

Susan Johnson Kim wrote: "Susan wrote: "Did you go to the Aquarium? ..."

Could you tell where Pacific Grove started and Monterey ended? Ha Ha. I never can. Still it's one of my favorite places. I love looking at fish and I am drawn to the jelly fish. This ddrives my youngest son crazy as he repeatedly reminds me they have no brains. (I tell him I don't either after raising 4 kids). When I go to Sydney again, I will put their aquarium on the top of my list.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Susan wrote: "Could you tell where Pacific Grove started and Monterey ended? Ha Ha. I never can. Still it's one of my favorite places...."

Nope, it seemed like the one place to me! We were there when the Monarch butterflies were passing through. They were all over the trees in the hotel we stayed at. Overall, I'd rather look at birds and butterflies than fish! Jellyfish I steer clear off, having been bitten when I was a kid.