Lea Ann's Reviews > If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This: Fiction

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This by Robin    Black

May 17, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Recommended for: Fans of short fiction
Read from May 13 to 17, 2011

Thank goodness. I have had a string of duds recently and If I Loved You, is EXACTLY what was needed to grant a reprieve from mediocrity. I won this book as a first-reads giveaway and I'm SO glad. I haven't turned to a short story collection in a while, but it's a format I've always liked.

Robin Black tackles some tough subjects, and no one in her stories is free from heartache, loss or drama of some kind. I read a review that was really bothered by that, but I didn't mind. I actually think those details manage to pack more drama into a short story.

The characters and plots work perfectly in short story. By necessity short stories are, well, short. So they have less room to develop characters and in place in Black's stories are fully formed characters, with fully formed issues. With the additional drama and details the reader is immediately invested in what happens to the characters.

Several stories I wanted to continue. I wanted the characters to go further into their turmoil or resolution. I wanted to know what happens when the pages abruptly end. The writing draws you in and keeps you throughout each story. Black has a smooth almost seemless style of writing that feels comfortable and familiar from the start.

I am sad that Black took 9 years to write this collection as it means it's not likely to see anything else from her soon. But I thoroughly enjoyed this collection and recommend it to any fan of short fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This.

05/15/2011 page 124