Angela's Reviews > Signs of Life: A Memoir

Signs of Life by Natalie Taylor

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: firstreads, books-i-own, arc, 2011-books
Read from September 03 to 04, 2011

Yay! I won this book as a First Reads giveaway!

Wow. Just...wow.

I loved every second of this book. Not just because Ms. Taylor lives about 15 miles away from me (I am in Waterford, mi), but because this book was just that awesome. It reads like a journal (well, an exceptionally well thought out, well written journal) snd the reader follows her as she grieves the tragic death of her husband, and deals with the subsequent birth of her firstborn.

I have had my share of loss, and as such, I could relate to her story. She hits it spot on. This IS what grief is like.

Favorite quotes:

"Another way I judge women is by when they choose to expose their cleavage. Most of my friends would only show their cleavage at a very special occasion, a wedding for example...But Ashley is workday cleavage, hands down." ARC, p. 31-32.

"I am obsessed with finding people who have seen the universe bear its ferocious teeth and I am entirely sick of people who seem to live free and easy. No wonder I identify more with Italian mobsters than the average pregnant woman. The Corleones and I are both entrenched in an ugly world of death. We both see the gruesome part of life that most people spend their lives trying to avoid." ARC p. 47

I also really loved the English lessons she taught her students and how they helped her understand the situation she was in. I really believe that this book is life-changing. Do yourself a favor and read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Signs of Life.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book. It is about death, but also, "signs of life," and what teaching means to teachers. There are so many great poems in it!

message 2: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally Pearce Angela, If you are going to swap this one, I'd love to get it. Let me know to my inbox, please!