Good Golly Miss Holly's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Jul 29, 12

Read from March 09 to 16, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Review TBC...

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler is a novel I was extremely keen to get my hands on, I loved the premise of two 90's kids getting their futures told to them through the powers of Facebook. I very much related to the first few chapters of installing the internet and being introduced to the world wide web.

I very-much related with the introductions of the novel, the first few chapters took me back to days of my 90's childhood when I was first discovering the powers of the internet. I can clearly remember logging onto the internet for the first time and visiting a chat room, setting up email and chatting on messenger so it was a really great memory for me.

More like a 3.5. I enjoyed the book to an extent but I felt like the romance between the two main characters was pretty obvious and dragged out through the entire book.

The Future of Us had caught my eye very early on with it's tale of a Back to the Future style adventure with Facebook but unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I felt the idea fell flat very early on, the authors could've done so much with this really great premise but it just didn't seem to go anywhere.

From making minor changes in her life like spilling a vase of water, somehow this was cause for life-altering disasters such as a switch-up of future husbands.

If Josh and Emma were to have a more intense friendship and possibly a fallout, I feel this could very much improve the novel.

I'm going to class this one as a fail basically because I was expecting so much from such popular YA authors yet it was a pretty blase' read and didn't really win me over. Although, at no point did I feel like putting down the novel or ever get the feeling of not being able to complete it for boredom with the ideas, etc. I guess I was keen to see how things worked out and hoped for an improvement but it never came along.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.