AudryT's Reviews > Tempestuous Petticoat

Tempestuous Petticoat by Clare Leighton

Nov 23, 11

Read from April 06 to November 23, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempestuous Petticoat.

05/06/2011 page 7
3.0% "'It's the lower classes who rush to pay their bills...The aristocratic thing is only to pay them when accompanied by threats.'"
05/06/2011 page 12
4.0% "'Say what you please about these new diet fads...but nothing takes the place of a good mutton chop.'"
05/06/2011 page 16
6.0% "'There's hardly a man who isn't benefited by being warmed and stirred a little.""
05/06/2011 page 17
6.0% "'My mother would recite a love poem during a game of whist, in order to distract a susceptible opponent, while my father, who in his deafness did not hear what was going on, would wonder suddenly why his partner was playing the wrong cards.' <--I love her mother."
05/07/2011 page 48
18.0% "'Mea,' his husky voice called up the stairs. 'I have come to see you while the morning dew is still upon you.' <--Said by a man wearing a kilt."
05/07/2011 page 60
22.0% "I love that as a child, Clare managed to find every naughty or "clinical" book hidden away in the house, and also to view the illicit romances of the house servants from her nursery window."
05/07/2011 page 61
22.0% "'Papa would say with a little laugh that the most important of the Commandments was the eleventh one: Thou shalt not be found out.'"
09/02/2011 page 136
50.0% "1/2 'The unemployed were here last week,' said my aunt [meaning the Duke of Wellington's hunting party]. 'They came...surging up the garden path, with the horses trampling upon my flower beds. So I went out to meet them. "Well?" I said to the Duke as he reined his horse. "The fox has got away in your orchard, ma'am." "The fox is welcome to the safety of my orchard." I drew myself up, looking him straight in the face."
09/02/2011 page 137
50.0% "2/2 And he couldn't move, you see, for if he had he'd have knocked me down on my own land. 'But the fox, madam.' 'I'll be obliged if you will please call your dogs and horses together and leave my garden," I went on severely. And I stood there, without moving, till the Duke turned his horse and led them all down the path again. I liked to think of that fox, safe among my apple trees...It was a grand morning.'"
11/23/2011 page 250
92.0% "'Why won't people see that it isn't what life does to them that matters, but how they cope with what life does?'"
show 4 hidden updates…