the golden witch.'s Reviews > Hare Moon

Hare Moon by Carrie Ryan

Can I just say how much I love Carrie Ryan’s zombie-filled world? I LOVE IT. And she finally granted my wish of having some backstory to the Forest Village before the first book! YAY!

So here with have Sister Tabitha (who makes her appearance in the first book) and her own little backstory – and surprise! One of the reasons she’s so hard on Mary is because she herself was like Mary in that she wanted out of the Village and wanted to go out in the Forest to find freedom, and when she meets the boy on the other side, love. Only to be betrayed by his little Infected brother, of course.

Now, at least, we know where the last entry in the Village Records came from.

Anyway, at 27 pages, this was a delicious bite of what would be a wonderful prequel, if there’s one scheduled or being written. I really hope there is, because I just love this world far too much to give it up for one trilogy and a novella. Ryan’s really sharpened things up in this novella – you can almost smell the dead flesh that’s haunting the forest, hear the wind in the leaves, and feel the rattle of the fence in your bones. The sensory input is stunning, and Ryan’s at her best in this novella (and in the final novel in the trilogy – I have the feeling that both were written at or around the same time due to how well the sensory language has been sharpened from the previous two novels. It’s lush, horrifying, and gorgeous all at the same time. We become Tabitha like we become Mary in the first book, longing for the wild Forest beyond the fence – so surreal that I had to shake myself back to this reality after reading it.

Anyway, I’m not one for novellas, usually – but this one takes the cake. I still demand more, though!

(crossposted to shelfari, librarything, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hare Moon.

message 1: by Destiny (new) - added it

Destiny Should this short story be read before or after The Forest of Hands and Teeth? I just got the books and short story and want to read them in the best order. Thanks! :)

the golden witch. Destiny wrote: "Should this short story be read before or after The Forest of Hands and Teeth? I just got the books and short story and want to read them in the best order. Thanks! :)"

Probably after. This was released after the third book, if that gives you any idea of reading order - Ryan kind of indicates that you should be familiar with what happened in the first book before reading this prequel.

message 3: by Destiny (new) - added it

Destiny Thank you sooo much for the tip! I have searched online and Goodreads all week and no inkling of a clue and wanted to avoid spoilers! Thanks again and great review! :)