Juliette's Reviews > I'll Scream Later

I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: memoirs
Read in April, 2011

I have been loving Marlee Matlin on Celebrity Apprentice and was curious about her life. Her memoir, co written by Betsy Sharkey, is not only fascinating but is illuminating on what being Deaf has meant for her and her career. Matlin's rise to fame and eventual Oscar win for Best Actress begins in the suburbs of Chicago and a chance meeting with Henry Winkler. Later, as a young adult, Matlin lived in the Winkler's pool house while she auditioned for films and tv shows. She survived a violent relationship with actor William Hurt, conquered drug addiction at Betty Ford, and helped pass the Television Decoder Circuitry Act of 1990 (which allowed closed captioning to be accessed with the push of a remote control button). She explains how difficult understanding nuance, inference, and tone can be as a person who is Deaf, and different techniques she uses as an actress. She is clear that being Deaf doesn't define her, but is just a part of her. She also has a wicked sense of humor. I also loved learning about her close relationship with her interpreter, Jack Jason. Fun tidbits are included about Rob Lowe, Jennifer Beals, Sammy Davis Jr., Melissa Gilbert, Tom Cruise, Jeff Daniels, Clint Eastwood, Mark Harmon, Billy Baldwin, her Dancing with the Stars partner, Fabian Sanchez, David E. Kelly, and of course, The Fonz.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Scream Later.