Lara's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, dystopia-post-apocalypse, science-fiction, young-adult, e-books, action-adventure
Read from July 02 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This was really more of a 2.5-er for me, but I can't say I actually liked it. The first chapter was...horrifying. I was practically in tears at the very start, and totally sucked in. And I think that's why the book as a whole disappointed me, because I didn't feel like anything after that point had anywhere near the emotional impact that one chapter did. The characters never ended up feeling fully-formed to me, and I felt that sometimes they acted in ways that didn't make sense or felt too contrived or overly repetitious. And I knew from the first moment he was introduced who the secret baddie of the story really was. Really, most of the dramatic revelations turned out not to be terribly dramatic at all, because I saw them coming so far ahead of time. And then a lot of this seems quite similar to Maria V. Snyder's Inside Out, so many of the main plot elements didn't seem terribly original at all. That said, I liked the way that it ended for the most part--the way the romance turns out is not quite typical, which I appreciate--and I felt like there were some really interesting ideas here. I just wish they'd been explored in a better way, I guess. It's a somewhat entertaining story all in all, but not fantastic writing; I doubt I'll bother with the sequel.

07/04/2011