Debra's Reviews > Five Children and It

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: juvenile

What would you wish for if you could have one wish granted every day? Five siblings--well, really only four of five because "Lamb" is too young--in E. Nesbit's Five Children and It discover that deciding what to wish for is only the beginning of their troubles. When they uncover a sand fairy who promises to grant them a wish a day, "careful what you wish for" becomes a much more colorful aphorism.

Somehow, I had not read E. Nesbit's work before, and I am not familiar with turn-of-the-20th-Century British lit for children. I don't know if this title is typical; it's really a collection of tales bound by a theme and characters. Not all of the tales translated as well to this time as others, but they created a fun structure for the story, and Nesbit's conversational style delighted me. Her voice, speaking directly to her young readers, was probably my favorite part of the book--witty, instructive without patronizing, friendly. She charmed me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Children and It.