Megan Franks's Reviews > House Rules

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

May 09, 11

bookshelves: book-club, adult-lit
Read from April 26 to May 09, 2011

I didn't expect to like this book so much. In fact, I have resisted Picoult books for some time thinking that anyone so popular who continually churns out books can't be *that* good. I was wrong.

Jacob is an 18-year-old with Asperger's Syndrome, part of the autism spectrum. He is obsessed with crime scene investigation, can't look anyone in the eye, is completely honest and only understands communication in its most literal terms. When his beloved tutor is murdered, it's no surprise that law enforcement--and even his own family--suspect that Jacob might have played a part in her death.

Not only did the action in this book move rather quickly, it completely engaged the reader and left you continually wondering if all your assumptions were correct. Normally, I don't like books where each chapter is written from a different character's view point, but this one flowed seamlessly. I was also astounded by that Picoult was able to write from an Asperger's point-of-view so convincingly, and showed such a strong grasp of the syndrome.

Read this book if you like mysteries, crime drama or want to better understand what life is like for a parent of a special needs child.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Rules.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Oh, no! Another Picoult fan has been found!

Megan Franks I know. I feel guilty for rolling my eyes every time you raved about her. LOL!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Ah, I just rolled mine back thinking when you tried it, you'd like it. There's just something about most of her books that makes me keep turning the pages and wanting more (and staying up WAY too late). :o)