Regine's Reviews > Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez

Apr 05, 2011

bookshelves: owned, magical-realism

After reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, it's been really hard for me to appreciate other books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I've sat on the river boat with Florentino Ariza, and I was unmoved by his quest for love. I've been a voyeur to the old bachelor who buys himself a fourteen-year old virgin on his 90th birthday. I was mildly disgusted. However, "Chronicle of a Death Foretold", this I like. I really, really like.

For people that haven't read GGM, this would be a good place to start. It's a slim read (my copy is only 143 pages), and it gives you a taste of what his other books are like. For people that have complained about Marquez being too wordy, this is the book for you. The prose is descriptive, but far from being purple.

The story is about the murder of Santiago Nasir. Although his death was foretold by everybody in his town, nobody does anything to stop the attack from happening. Marquez is a master at story-telling. Even though the same story is being told throughout the book by many different characters, their individual accounts of the crime just draws you into the book even more.

Again, Marquez brings the magical into the mundane. There aren't any shortages of ghosts or pyschic dreams in this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Tintin (new)

Tintin Great review :) I really want to read this book but can't find a cheaper copy (I don't want to spend hundreds of pesos for such a thin book)! I berate myself for not picking this up when it was lying around our old boarding house back in college.

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, same here Tintin. If I only have the chance to own his books, oops, I mean some of them although I have a very thin book of his waiting at the top of my bed.