Melannie :)'s Reviews > The Ghost and the Goth

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade

May 08, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, to-re-read
Recommended for: everyone who wants a FUN read
Read from April 07 to 08, 2011

I just finished this two minutes ago and I have THE BIGGEST grin on my face.

I don't know if I have a soft spot for ghosts (yeah, right) or for KICK-ASS characters,
but luckyly for me, this book happens to have both.

So imagine how happy I was all through this read.

I randomly found the book description here in goodreads and was blown away by how
similar it sounded to Shadowland my all time favorite YA series. And opposite to what others might do,
being all like 'Aw there's no way something can be as awesome as Suze Simon's story (series mentioned above)' but I'm open-minded
and was glad to find something similar so I decided to give it a try, and went and get the book by all means
-begging, crying and acting like a 2 year old- and oh man! I'M SO GLAD!

PLUS: JUST LOOK AT THE COVER! I don't think I've loved a cover so much, like, EVER! (I'm thinking about
getting a full back tattoo of it) I loooove how accurate it actually is,
it's like THOSE are Alona and Will, they're exactly like that, clothes and everything.

Since the very first chapter things are attention grabbing and I find myself immersed in the story,
it starts when Alona, the queen bee of her high school, seemingly perfect in every way possible... *gasp* DIES!
But despite what people like to think about her, and what you¿re already imagining (snotty bitch):
nooo! far from the truth!
GIRL IS FIERCE! she's a fighter and has the master mind of Brain
from Pinky and the Brain, no really, she could totally take you in a 'guess the murderer' contest.

Not that there's a murderer in this book, just tons of hilarious, interesting, sad, hot, fun, and kickass moments.
I can't complain here, cause I got everything I was asking for, so I will just continue summarizing the plot,

so yes, Alona dies ):
but hey! stop sobbing, girl is not going anywhere for now, and that is because (if you ever read a ghost's book or
have been going to the movies/ watching tv this past 20 years you already know this): she has unressolved issues.
And what's her to do, she doesn't know anything about being dead, and no one can help her, right?

WRONG! There's someone out there, someone who can help Alona with her newly acquired troubles...
and that someone is Will Killian! aka Will Kill, you might recognize him as the pseudo-goth guy sitting
in the farthest cafeteria table that apparently talks to himself out loud and wears his hoodie over his head all the time
to keep the voices out.

Yeah, Alona thinks that too: NO WAY I'M GETTING NEAR THAT FREAK.
But the only other person who she knows can communicate with the dead is in Puerto Vallarta and
I mean it's a long walk to Mexico D: .

So Alona and Will make a deal, he would teach her everything he knows about ghosts, death and moving on IF
she serves as his bodyguard, that is keeping the other ghosts off of his face so he can finally have some peace and quiet
after years and years of ghosts 'haunting' him.

I bet you can guess where that leads... me= fun fun fun, Will & Alona= damn damn damn!

Despite what you might think after reading this (that is if you're still with me after all this babbling):
'Oh but it sounds SO clichéd!' I have only one thing to say about this, okay two:
a) what's not cliche these days?, I mean, come on! nothing is 100% original now, after all this is 2011.
and b) Cliche can be FUN.

But whatever, cliché aside, this book is infinitely entretaining and with very real main charachters,
a realistic MALE teenager and a realistic GIRL teenager, and that's not easy to pull off let me tell ya,
not everyone can portray a boy and a girl so relatable.

So yeah this book is ALL ABOUT THE FUN (plus some twists you might have not seen coming).
If you just came back from a trip to a child's hospital, got out of jail, witnessed an animal massacre,
got your heart broken, read Mockingjay or lost your favorite lipstick at the mall and are SO DEPRESSED
you can't take it anymore, I suggest you read this, it won't dissapoint IT'S MADE OF FUN, no seriously, read the tag
it says it's made with the same stuff SIX FLAGS is made of.

go buy this book, or you might find a spook!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost and the Goth.

Quotes Melannie :) Liked

Stacey Kade
“She shrugged and flipped her glossy hair behind her shoulders. "What else do you have to do with your time besides think about stuff like this? It's not like you're real heavy into extracurriculars. Besides, you're all, like, goth and into the dead, right?"
Alona Dare, queen of the insult-compliment. "Wow. Thanks. Anyone ever tell you you're good with people?"
She frowned. "No."
"Good. I'm not goth."
"Your hair is black, you have piercings, you wear black all the time and act all freaky-"
"My hair is naturally this color. I have three earings in one ear, that's it. This shirt" -I tugged at the fabric across my chest- "is navy blue, and if I act weird all the time, it's because of ghosts like you.”
Stacey Kade, The Ghost and the Goth

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Small Review Yes! I loved this book! Alona and Will are such great characters, especially together. I agree, the cover is perfect. The sequel (Queen of the Dead) is just as good, too!

Melannie :) I was just thinking were does my dad hides his credit card: 'cause I really need to red the sequel, like NOW!

Small Review haha, it's not out yet. It's available on Net Galley though! And then you won't even need a credit card :)

Melannie :) urgh I wish I've seen your reply sooner, but I just did and sent a request, hopefully they'll send it *bites nails*

Small Review Good luck! I hope you get it. :)