Anna Young's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

F_50x66
Jul 01, 08

Read in October, 2007

Why was this book considered, by some, a classic? It read like a smut novel to me. I enjoyed learning about Mexican culture, and this novel certainly gave me an unrealized appreciation for modern kitchen technology. It also makes me feel good about the fact that while once upon a time, women had servants to do the housework, laundry and cleaning, because it was too much to handle, I can handle it all myself. Okay, again, that's a huge appreciation for modern technology. Anyway, many of the relationships were very disturbing, especially among the sisters and mother. I think the best part about the book was that Esquivel is a very good writer--she shows us what's happening so that we can experience the feelings just as the characters do. If you want a fantastical read, this is a good one--Esquivel weaves magic into this and gives a lot of power to emotions. If easily offended, I would pass this one over.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.