Jason's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, e-books
Read from April 05 to 07, 2011

2 stars.

I do not have much to say about this novel by Tim Powers. I did not really care for much about this one, even though I normally love time travel stories. Doyle is a dud of a lead character, almost boring to death.

This is not a period piece.

It is not really a science fiction novel.(No Science)

It is however, quite overrated in my opinion. I am a fan of Tim Powers but would pass on Anubis Gates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't care for it either. Poorly plotted, with terrible characterizations.

However, there are many great "science fiction" books that do not contain "science." This is one of the main reasons why many people prefer the term Speculative Fiction rather than Science Fiction.

SF is more about ideas; sometimes these ideas are science-based, while other times they are more socially inclined. Just look at the works of Ray Bradbury for an example.

Simon I didn't even think this was classed as SF. It's in the Fantasy Masterworks series for example.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah - genre semantics. Which is why Speculative Fiction is a better term, because it incorporates fantasy and science fiction.

Although I see people refer to this as science fiction more than I do fantasy. The distinction seems a little arbitrary in this case.

message 4: by Mohammed (last edited Apr 08, 2011 04:13PM) (new) - added it

Mohammed Science Fantasy is often put in Fantasy Masterworks. They tend to be more Fantasy than SF. I have not finished this novel but its clear more fantasy. Isnt most Steampunk novels blend of fantasy and SF.

I do not like speculative fiction its too broad. Every genre almost is speculative. Plus its sounds like we are genre fans who are afraid to say what they read.

Myself i like books that blend F&SF and nots clear genre wise. They tend to be more imaginative when well done. Like Tim Powers better novels.

message 5: by Simon (last edited Apr 09, 2011 03:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Simon I think that sometimes, as soon as people see time travel, they call it SF but I don't think that's necessarilly the case. This book being a case in point.

message 6: by Mohammed (new) - added it

Mohammed There is also Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson a World Fantasy award winner. Another time traveling fantasy.

A book im very interested in. Myself i dig time travel story no matter fantasy of clear sf story.

Jason Mohammed wrote: "There is also Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson a World Fantasy award winner. Another time traveling fantasy.

I have never read that book but it is a favorite movie of my mine and my wife's , a beautiful time travel romance starring Christopher Reeves.