Crystal ♥ RBtWBC's Reviews > The Trouble with Spells

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: request-blog-tour
Read from April 05 to 06, 2011

3.5 Very Good!

A beautiful story about a young witch who at sixteen is just discovering her family’s heritage and coming into her powers, and the boy she falls in love with who is a powerful warlock with dark forces after him.

The Trouble with Spells is a magical adventure full of sweet romance, dark mystery, and emotional, entertaining suspense.
I really enjoyed Weatherford’s writing style, it was simple and to the point, exactly how I would write a novel if I were as creative as her!

Both Portia and Vance are strong main characters. I especially loved Portia, her strengths, determination and commitment. Vance looses his bad boy appeal as the story progresses but his dedication to Portia and his protectiveness for her when it comes to everyday teenage life, his father and his self, balances the loss out somewhat, though I would of liked to see more of the alpha he has inside.
Great character development, all the main and side characters were well fleshed out and incredibly endearing. I felt really involved with their story.

Portia and Vance’s relationship is fast and intense but Weatherford lends it believability with magical explanations. Though Portia’s family’s reactions to the fervent relationship of teenagers was unbelievable, and as a former teen who had a lot of freedom and now a mother I wasn’t buying the easy-going attitude of the parents. But, that is totally my opinion and is sure to differ from others.

At first the plot moved along at a slow pace for me but the final chapters were surprising and exciting. This was very much a light, fell-good story until the end where you were gripped by suspense and the grittiness of the dark side of magic, with a heartbreaking cliffhanger that leads to the next installment in the series that I will be sure to read. The world building got a little too descriptive in some instances but didn’t take away from the story.

Very clean, great for young adults. All in all, a very good read and I plan to continue the series and would recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with Spells.