Allison's Reviews > The Meat and Spirit Plan

The Meat and Spirit Plan by Selah Saterstrom

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: drink-the-bleach-drink-the-bleach, i-wanna-be-smrt
Read in April, 2011

In a word, eh. This book definitely has its moments: "...we can't all be stars or the night would be as bright as day." Actually, my favorite part was the very end, so maybe if she'd continued from there...Or maybe not. Maybe this book is just way too high concept for proletarian me. Or maybe the air of detachment--while I realize it's probably supposed to be symptomatic of the shock the narrator is experiencing throughout a seemingly endless series of brutal events--made it difficult, with rare exceptions, such as the beautifully rendered scene in which she goes on a crying jag after the death of her mother, to feel anything but detached. I've seen this done to harrowing effect before--Cruddy is a really good example--but for whatever reason, here it mostly read like a particularly poetic shopping list. I couldn't convince myself there was any reason--other than the natural outrage at what the narrator suffered--I should find this voice especially compelling or care.

I love the cover, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meat and Spirit Plan.