Dree's Reviews > The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, memoir-biography-autobiography
Read from November 09 to 15, 2011

So yeah, I loved the Little House books as a kid. I wanted to be Laura SO BAD. She had sisters! And her family sang and danced to Pa's fiddle! And they played in the creeks! And walked miles to school! And had adventures! And moved to new places! And everything always turned out for the best!

Yup, suburban hell me was jealous--subruban hell me who lived in one house, had short hair because it was easier for mom, who walked a block to school, and who's dad might not have even danced at his own wedding was quite jealous (forget about the long winter part, and the leeches). Wendy McClure didn't want to be Laura, she wanted to be her best friend.

So McClure tried to chase down the Ingalls allure at the various little houses and dugouts rebuilt and memorialized, with gift shops attached. Even she wasn't sure what she was looking for, but she found some characters. From scholars to college-age tour guides, business owners, and Laura fans. And Laura fans come in all types--sweet girls, homeschoolers following a Little House curriculum (REALLY? Kind of weird, but I would have loved it as a kid), and end-timers. Yup, end timers love the Ingalls ideal. But their ideal is not based on nearly starving, failed business ventures, grasshopper clouds, and diptheria. Their ideal seems to be based on the TV show.

A fun read, though if you didn't love the books, you probably wouldn't get it. Now I want to go to DeSmet and Walnut Grove and see the pageants! Little House pageants! (Pageant in the theatre sense, not the toddlers and tiaras sense.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wilder Life.

11/10/2011 page 76
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Al (new)

Al Keep me posted on this one. I had in my TBR pile from the library but recently removed it to mAke room for others, was that a mistake?

Dree Will let you know--it is very fast to read. So far she has churned butter in a real churn and made long winter bread. Both things I dreamed of doing around age 10 :) The writing is a little sweet for me, if that makes sense, but not surprising giving the topic!