Ashley's Reviews > The Judas Strain

The Judas Strain by James Rollins

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: own-a-copy
Read from April 05 to 10, 2011

This was a book I had been wanting to read for a while now, after having first come across it at the bookstore and being intrigued by the book jacket. Now that I have read and completed it, I have to say that I truly enjoyed "The Judas Strain", it kept me entertained from start to finish. Perhaps the most memorable part of the book for me, which will probably stay with me the longest was one of the quotes at the beginning of the book as cited from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "Compendium of Infectious Diseases", 2006 which said that: "Why the bubonic plague suddenly arose out of China's Gobi desert during the Middle Ages and slew a third of the world's population remains unknown. In fact, no one knows why so many plagues and influenzas of the last century - SARS, the Avian Flu - have arisen out of Asia. But what is known with fair certainty: the next great pandemic will arise again out of the East."

This quote is at once both intriguing and unsettling in its claim, but it provided the perfect impetus for setting the tone of the book. In Rollins's novel, a new and highly dangerous disease has presented itself on Christmas Island and members of Sigma Force are called forth to discover it's origins and stop it's spread. What ensues is a race to discover the cause and cure of the Judas Strain while tracking down the truth about what happened to Marco Polo and his crew on their return to Italy following their stay in China for the past three years. Shrouded in the past is a mystery so frightening that those in the present day are made witnesses to the repeating of history multiplied to its worse possible outcome, worldwide pandemic.

Although this was the first book I have ever read by James Rollins, both his writing and characters piqued and maintained my interest enough that I look forward to exploring more of his writing as it pertains to his Sigma Force novels.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Judas Strain.