Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)'s Reviews > Vision

Vision by Beth Elisa Harris

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, 4-stars
Read from April 19 to 27, 2011

It is so hard to describe this wonderful story! I could call it a beautiful romance, a mystery, and at some parts I could even call Vision a paranormal novel, regardless of my issues to place this novel, there is one important thing you should know and that would be that this story is great! With a cast of wonderful, intersting characters, a sense of mystery and paranormalcy throughout, and one hot, beautiful romance, how could you not love this story?

The story starts off with the main character, Layla, leaving the United States to stay abroad in England for the following year. We know from the start that she is not normal. Aside from being mature beyond her years and extremely level-headed, or the fact that she has big issues with her mom, Layla also holds a deep, dark secret. The secret is she can read peoples thoughts around her. This has caused her to be a closed off person. It is hard to get too close to someone when you could read every thought passing through their head.

Layla decides things will change for her in England, and for the first time in a long time she finds herself opening up to people. The family she is staying with consists of Henry and Patrice along with their daughter Sienna. They all welcome Layla with open arms and before she knows it, Layla has a great friendship forming with Sienna. Sienna introduces Layla to her good friend, Stuart. It was nearly love at first site for these two. With a new friendship and a budding romance, things seem to be going good for Layla. And things are good until they go bad. With a fellow classmate’s obsession with her growing, odd gifts showing up, and a newfound knowledge of what she really is and how she has come to be, life gets a bit more complicated for Layla.

I love the characters of this story! While some were minor and I would have liked to have seen more of them (Layla’s host family for example), I still commend Beth for writing a fantastic cast. Layla, in many ways is a lot like me. She is mature, level-headed, and very responsible. When I was first introduced to Layla in Vision, I thought she acted much like an adult even though she was 15-years-old. I could understand where she was coming from though. She had no other siblings, her parents supported her but gave her a ton of independence, plus there is the whole “reading minds” thing. As the story goes on and Layla opens up to friends, you see a different side of her, a side that shows she is in fact human. She loves, makes mistakes, gets scared, and angry especially as her knowledge of what she truly is grows. It was when we were introduced to this side of her, that I really started to enjoy her character. As for smaller characters such as Sienna, well I totally adored her. There is something about that crazy, out-going, totally lovable best friend in novels that draws me in.

As I stated earlier there is a romance and oh boy…there are no words for it! While at first I was a bit irritated by the insta-love connection, I found myself really liking Stuart and Layla as a couple. Not all insta-love connections are bad things, especially if they are done right like in this case with Vision. Stuart is such a kind, sweet, caring, understanding guy. He is there for Layla when she needs him most and I really liked that about him. Not to mention the chemistry between these two was unbelievable. Beth Elisa Harris can write one darn good, or, if I am being completely honest, a few darn good kissing scenes!

I love that this story has such a wide range of genres to entertain all. The well written characters along with some paranromalcy (Layla’s ability to read minds and where that comes from), mystery (Layla’s search to find the truth behind her ability), suspense (the danger that comes with searching for the truth), and love (two words to describe this: Stuart + kissing) all mixed in, really creates a wonderful story. I recommend Vision, a wonderful read to all!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision.

04/19/2011 page 12