Ann's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: k-6, tween, 19th-century, classics, coming-of-age, female-relationships, massachusetts, marriage, new-england, romance, victorian, civil-war
Read from April 05 to June 04, 2011

I'm so mad at myself for waiting so many years to read this book! It was completely charming and delightful, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I savored it before bed each night, and it was like a special treat to end the day. Of course, it's not without its flaws (the writing can be preachy and dated), but the characters and plot are so strong that those were minor issues. I loved the atmosphere and even found comfort in many of the morals, although I can see why they would be off-putting to some. I'm looking forward to returning to the March sisters again soon.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie I read this when I was probably 12 or 13 and didn't like it at ALL. But I really like the movie, and so many people I know love the book too so...maybe it's time to give it another chance?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Yes. Yes it is.

Lars Guthrie I felt the same way when I finally read it a few years ago. You might enjoy a more recently published adult book, "March" by Geraldine Brooks, that enriches the Alcott experience.