Susan's Reviews > The Night Listener

The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from April 05 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

I found this book to be slow burning, and not in a bad way at all. It was a book where nothing specific happens, but a story is told, a growth, like a coming-of-age story despite the main protagonist being 55 years old.

Yes this book was about a gay guy, but although technically it could be called gay fiction and there is a lot of I guess sexist issues in the book it is one where the gay guy isn't overtly gay. he seems normal and as such this book is able to be read without that pre assumed thing of 'oh I'm not gay, so I won't understand'. I think this book speaks of something universal. That wish to be accepted to be listened to and heard honestly, and I guess that wish to be accepted and wanted.

I love that there doesn't seem to be a resolution in this book, unless of course you finish where it says THE END, in which case the "story" ends. But then the Afterwards goes on to unresolved that end, and make you realize how clever Maupin has been in his first person narration to provide a story in a story. Brilliant, does the character ever feel love and acceptance from his dad? I dunno, but then the afterwards also suggests that maybe he never needed the acceptance because perhaps he already had it, it's just that the Character (son) Gabriel chose to write his book about 'himself (?)' where his Dad does not accept him.

An intriguing book and one I so badly craved to finish reading as soon as I started.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Listener.