Liz's Reviews > Leaving

May 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: to-review, contemporary-fiction, christian-fiction
Read from May 05 to 13, 2011

Bailey Flanigan has dreams of performing on Broadway, so she is thrilled when she is given an opportunity to audition for her favorite show Hairspray. At the same time she's nursing a broken heart because her family friend-turned-boyfriend, Cody Coleman, walked out of her life without explanation. She still misses him after months of no phone calls or texts, but at the encouragement of her mother she tries to move on.

The characters in this story are connected to the Baxter Family series, none of which I've read. As I started into the book it was a little hard to discern who belonged to whom, and it seemed like there were so many characters to keep track of. After a few chapters it started falling together for me, and it wasn't a problem.

I liked the characters Bailey and Cody. I felt like they had depth and were relatable. I felt drawn in to Bailey's life, particularly, and was left at the end of the book wanting to find out what happens next.

The one thing I especially appreciate about Kingsbury's writing is that she includes characters who have a genuine relationship with God, and they have regular conversations with Him when they face adversity and in their decision making. I wish more Christian writers would include this element in their books.

I have enjoyed a few of Karen Kingsbury's other books more than this one. Unlocked is by far my favorite of the few I have read. Having invested time into this story, though, I will probably have to read the next in the series to find out what's next for Bailey, as well as a few of the other characters.

If you're a fan of Karen Kingsbury, I'm sure you will enjoy the book.

I would like to thank Zondervan for providing me with a free copy of the book for review. I was not required to write a favorable review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving.

05/05/2011 page 52