Adrienne's Reviews > The Dragon Knight

The Dragon Knight by Gordon R. Dickson

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, book-count-2011
Read in April, 2011

Jim and Angie were thrown back in time to the Middle Ages - the 14th century, to be more precise - and have had to restart their lives. They have a comfortable English castle, some fertile tracts of land, and 20th century sensibilities that keep clashing with the prevailing culture, but all in all, it's not too bad. Jim can even do magic to a small extent, so they have a pretty good life. That is, until Jim gets called away to go and save the English prince who has been captured while gadding about in France. Jim's not that great with magic, and he's not that great with weapons, but he's a knight and a vassal of the English king, so he has to go. Can he save the prince make it back to Angie alive?

As I was reading the book, it didn't take me long to get caught up in the story. Jim and Angie are interesting characters, and the juxtaposition of their 20th century mindset with their 14th century surroundings is fascinating. As I was writing the plot summary above, though, I realized that it seems like a bit much to try and swallow, even if you are the best at suspending your disbelief. Part of that is because I ended up jumping in to the second book of the series instead of the first book (I *hate* when that happens). When you're reading the book, it's pretty easy to just go with it. I may skip over the first book entirely (since I kinda know what happened, what with reading the second book and all) and see if I can find the third book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Knight.