Dree's Reviews > I Love Yous Are for White People

I Love Yous Are for White People by Lac Su

Oct 17, 14

bookshelves: california, memoir-biography-autobiography, 2011-reads, los-angeles
Read from April 05 to 10, 2011

Lac Su came to the US as a small child, with his parents and sister. His father had worked with the Americans in Vietnam, and had to flee the communist advance.

This memoir covers aspects of Lac's life in Los Angeles--the schools, trying to make friends in a largely Hispanic neighborhood, the things/people he misses about Vietnam, banging with a small Asian gang in Alhambra, and his father's expectations and cruel nature. Underneath it all is the story of his father's life: successful businessman in Vietnam to manual laborer in the US, a man who successfully fled in a small boat with his family (but not with his saved money his in-laws refused to give him), a man horribly confused by American customs and values who is more than willing to work hard and learn--but who is unable to express this in a way his Americanized son can understand.

Sad and frustrating, yet positive and uplifting. I wish the author included his last year of high school and college years, as I am so curious to know how moving to a different high school helped to motivate him.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love Yous Are for White People.

04/05/2011 page 27