Julia's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: appropriate-for-high-school, dystopia, death-grief, families, twisted, 4c-summer-2013
Read in April, 2011

Cassia lives in a world where everything is decided for her, and not just her, for everyone. The "Society" monitors everyone to arrange perfect matches to jobs and marriages so that citizens will be optimally healthy. They also determine that everyone dies on their 80th birthday. Cassia is thrilled when she finds she's been matched to a long time friend, Xander (a highly improbable event). However, when Cassia examines her match chip it briefly shows she was to be matched to another boy she knows, Ky. Curious, Cassia gets to know Ky better, and winds up falling for him hard.

I did like this book because despite the deeply "1984ish" society, it was not as dark and dismal as so many recent dystopias are. I actually think that young teens would probably do OK with this book as well as older high school students. However, the world is highly implausible, as with most dystopias. I'd have liked to learned more about how that society came to be - what it's control is a rebellion against. This book felt like it was leaving room for a sequel, either that or it was simply rather unfinished.

All in all an OK read, but not one that stands out in my mind as a wow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.