Michelle Hayworth's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

F 50x66
Apr 05, 11

Read on April 05, 2011

At first, I really didn't think I was going to like the book as much as I enjoyed the others. After the first note was recieved, things started to turn around. I wanted to know who the author was, I needed to know. While I knew the man on the corner was going to be an important part of the story, I was absolutely dumbfounded when I found out exactly how significant he was. This book was a welcomed change. Completely unlike the recent books I have been reading. While there were strong themes presented, mainly about relationships, it was more of a laidback mystery, no imediate threat was encountered. The only death in the book was both intended by the character and author, in successful attempt to save another life. It almost had to happen that way to make any sense.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, it was just alittle slow to take off. But this detail only lets you ponder the events and their significance as they unravel and appreciatet them more at the end. Since it has no historical or scientifical counter parts or anything that could be based off of standards and curriculum, I am not sure how I could create a lesson plan around it. This book, I would consider to be basically read as a means of entertainment purposes but would absolutely have it in my own in class library.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.