AndrewP's Reviews > Altered Carbon

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, group_pulp-fiction, group_sword-and-laser
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 09, 2012

This is an interesting, and refreshing, style of book. Take Bladed Runner and substitute the character of Decker with Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer and that gives you some idea. A kind of high tech hard boiled detective story.

The basic detective plot has a lot of twists and turns and kept me on my toes right up until the end. Lot's of interesting characters, who's loyalties and motives you can never be totally sure of. The futuristic tech is well described and is very integral to the story, not just window dressing.

I gave this book 4 stars (although it should probably be 4 and half) because I found a couple of minor issues with it. The names of some of the characters were a bit awkward and I found I sometimes had to think about it for a bit to figure out who was who. Also, there was a plot device early on in the book that I thought the author dwelt on for too long and telegraphed it's importance. Once this was referred to later in the book, I guessed some of what was going on.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Altered Carbon.

01/03/2012 page 150
40.0% "Really liking this so far. Take Blade Runner and replace Decker with Micky Spillane's Mike Hammer and this gives you some idea of this book."
show 1 hidden update…