Jasmine's Reviews > Kraken

Kraken by China Miéville

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: british
Read from April 05 to 14, 2011

So I read this back when it came out and I hated it. I was pissed that it wasn't like the city and the city, and that it was shallow and poorly thought out and stupid.

I was wrong. I think what is problematic about mieville is that his books are so different that if you go in expecting an book to look like the others you are bound to hate it. If you compare this to the city and the city on the same playing field this looks grey and dull. not because it is, but because it is an entirely different kind of book. it's like the difference between types of actors. palahniuk gets typecast, but mieville can play anyone. But if you walk in expecting mieville to be type cast you are going to be angry.

This is a book about religion. There are statistics my friends throw around about how atheists are the most hated group in america (people would rather their child married a muslim than an atheist. well there is also a movement that says god lost. We see this in the argument against god from wikipedia and unintelligent design and we see it here.

But more importantly this is a book about magic, about fantasy and about belief. my other review is wrong it's not an action book lacking thought, it can be read that way certainly, but if you actually take a look hen you read it, it's so much more. but I don't know maybe it's just a murky book you have to read twice to appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kraken.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday do you have links to these interesting movements and wikipedia pages?

Jasmine I'll get back to you on that.

message 3: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j way to reevaluate! i kind of want to read this again to see if i would still find it so hard to read after getting through a few more of china's books. i kind of think i would, i was looking at it in the bookstore the other day and i noticed he reverses syntax all the time, which he doesn't do in perdido street station.

i mean, i liked the book regardless, but who are you, jane austen?

message 4: by j (new) - rated it 4 stars

j oh my gosh, jasmine, i have been reading other people's china reviews today because i have perdido book club tonight and china on the brain and you were really slagging off on him the first time you read this!

"his new book is basically throw up on a page."

"I completely disagree with her about Kraken and almost completely stopped reading him because I hated it so much."

i think you drew blood! but he healed himself with londonmancer powers.

anyway.

message 5: by Jasmine (last edited Apr 21, 2011 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine I know I did it was totally mean. I think that the book is super complicated and I just didn't understand the depth of the book the first time. I don't think I was so wrong as I just had a poor experience of the book.

Bradley Perdido Street Station and The Scar are so so so good and I haven't really liked any of his books besides them, although The City & The City had a great concept. I probably won't bother with the new one.