Terry Brooks's Reviews > Kraken

Kraken by China Miéville

Apr 05, 11

Read in April, 2011

This month I am recommending a book that has been out for a year or so, China Mieville's Kraken. No one writes books like China. Some have said this is a good thing because China's prose is dense and complex and his language might require that you keep a dictionary close at hand. But this is a really wonderful, compelling story. It possesses elements of science fiction, fantasy, horror and myth, and it is impossible to describe here. But I will take a shot at it anyway. Kraken is an end of the world story centered around a stolen Kraken corpse, a Kraken worshipping cult, strange collections of magic wielders both good and bad, a paranormal police unit, a gaggle of odd heroes and a couple of really terrible villains. It reminded me of Stephen King, among others. You have to work at this book, but even given that I had to put some effort into reading it I could not put it down. It builds as it goes and thunders to a surprisingly satisfying ending. It made me envy China's storytelling skills, and that doesn't happen very often.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kraken.

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina It sounds amazing. I will look forward to spending some time with this, as it sounds in bits and pieces like H.P. Lovecraft's "The Horror in the Museum."

message 2: by David (new)

David Melbie Thanks for the tip! I have read a couple of China's books and he is great! Heading to the library right now. . .

Scatterbug the best thing he's written in some time. but it is tough for some people to get through!

Michael Miller Worst book I've read in years,Full of obtuse meaningless phrases. Chaotic and uninteresting story line .None of the Characters have any backbone ,a bunch of spineless
sycophantic mules. Too adverbs to describe things to the point of boredom.