jD's Reviews > Sunrise at Sunset

Sunrise at Sunset by Jaz Primo

Apr 05, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2_kindle_own, vamps_dark, so-so_paranormal, skip-this-series, 2011-read
Read from April 05 to 06, 2011

Author Jaz Primo is one of those rare male writers taking a stab at paranormal romance. I state this to say, his gender will not be taken into consideration with this review. Mr. Primo’s work will receive my honest thoughts based on the time I spent with his characters Katrina Rawlings and Caleb Taylor.

To put it mildly, the book had some problems. It reminded me of a bad one night stand where you don’t see the hump on his back until the morning light filters in the room or you reach the 27% point of this book. The early scenes delivered a concept that I could buy into. Katrina, our heroine, decides to die by sunburn then changes her mind. She runs for shelter to a shed type structure or garage and crawls under a tarp. She is badly burned internally and externally. She hears a child come into the room and realizes he knows she is in there as well. He finds her under the tarp which I think is over a car. She needs blood but won’t kill the child instead she befriends him by telling him she is an angel. She uses her angel status to get the boy to call someone and get blood delivered. She discovers the boy’s name is Caleb and he is eight. He is a brave little soul and does all he can to help her and keep her a secret while she heals. Well, Caleb might be a sweet child but he is being raised by an abusive father who attacks and beats him while Katrina is watching from under the tarp. Of course, being a vamp she did what she had to do to protect the child and erase his memory. So far, so good right. Well it’s the last scene of the book that had any resemblance of balance and reasonable editing.

Flash forward either 18 or 20 years, Katrina has decided that Caleb has grown into a hot little number. She wants him and takes him in a 3-4 sentence love scene. It was one of many 3 to 4 sentence love scenes that were supposed to reinforce our appreciation of Katrina and Caleb’s love. Example:

“She moved slowly and deliberately until she was lying atop him. Her lips met his, kissing him hard. Then time stood still as their bodies conveyed mutual love and longing. Later, she lay across his body lazily, her hand caressing his face.”

At about 70% in, I faced the un-thinkable truth…I don’t like Katrina, she is mean and disrespectful of Caleb most of the time. Caleb is a weak insecure coward all of the time. He is straight-up terrified of making her mad through most of the book. There is some reference towards the end about opposites attracting one another… right. Tools such as humor, exotic settings, or evil-genius protagonist were not used to salvage this thing. Bottom-line, a margarita weekend with a decent editor and a few close friends could have fixed all the problems with this book and brought it up a couple of stars. I am really disappointed that such a promising start suffered for mostly fixable problems.

I'm skipping the rest of this series. Good luck to those who decide otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise at Sunset.

04/05/2011
27.0% "First love scene, 3 sentences long. Damn. I don't know if I am going to make it to the end." 4 comments
04/05/2011
57.0% "'However, he had blood to offer and felt that he was a good sexual partner to Katrina. At least, he thought so'. Well guess what Alton, I am right there with ya -- not sure either. NO SEX. NO HUMOR. I am reading out of spite now. There has to be something good about this book and I will find it." 11 comments
04/06/2011
57.0% "I'm done but I need to think about this one or I'll deliver an Evangelical preacher style rant on the sins of writing a bad book."

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina "Then time stood still as their bodies conveyed mutual love and longing."?

Wow. :S

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 1 star

jD Can you believe that crap! This is a full length novel of at least 350 pages of random activity by the characters and no sex.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina jD wrote: "Can you believe that crap! This is a full length novel of at least 350 pages of random activity by the characters and no sex."

That sentence was all the sex in the entire book?! o_O You are brave.

Also, the no humor part would have me giving up way sooner. Thanks for the review, I will stay away from that one!

karinajean truly wonderful and spot on review. if I hadn't found this right after reading the book I would have been furious. as it us at least I feel like less if a rube.

message 5: by jD (new) - rated it 1 star

jD karinajean wrote: "truly wonderful and spot on review. if I hadn't found this right after reading the book I would have been furious. as it us at least I feel like less if a rube."

It's been a while and quite a few books since I read this one but I remember it was bad. I wrote the review as a cautionary tale. I read this one back when I trusted Amazon reviews. I don't bother now. Goodreads is much more reliable.

Sue-Anne Silkes My undoing was Katrina's ever present smirk... Really?!