Richard's Reviews > When the Thrill Is Gone

When the Thrill Is Gone by Walter Mosley

M_50x66
Apr 05, 11

Read from April 01 to 03, 2011, read count: 1

After a very slow start, there are a number of interesting stories woven together here. I especially liked hearing his father's voice offering advice from years earlier. Since he is now thought to be dead, it's comforting to know he is remembered now that Leonid McGill no longer hates him.

The boxing analogies got a little tiresome for me as did his constant descriptions of objects as colors. The use of building roofs was unusual, as were many of the characters, but I never got the feeling any characters, including our hero, were well developed. We keep hearing how scary Leonid or others appear, but I did not feel it.

One thing that bothered me were the very casual sexual relationships: almost to the point of hello, let's go to bed.

I guess I did not like it as well as I first thought, which is interesting, since I remember liking his Easy Rawlings series better. (Note: all those titles have a color in the title, like John D. Macdonald used to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Thrill Is Gone.