Danika Dinsmore's Reviews > Wise Child

Wise Child by Monica Furlong

Apr 15, 11

Read from April 05 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

This book was recommended to me by one of my young friends. She said it was one of her favourites. I think if I had read it when I was younger first, I would have put it at the top of my list too. I probably would have dreamed of having a life like Wise Child.

It's a lovely coming-of-age story. A slower, softer kind of fantasy that explores how a young girl, over time, learns about witchcraft. I like the authenticity of Wise Child's struggles. She doesn't like the hard work, but slowly begins to see the value in it over the more pampered lifestyle offered by her estranged mother.

My only criticism is that Juniper (Wise Child's mentor) seems to be a bit too "perfect." This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Perhaps when I read the prequel (and I plan on it) I will change my mind about her. I liked her as a person, I just didn't see any of her own struggles. She is so even-tempered it became a bit unbelievable.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wise Child.

Lilly Era :)

Danika Dinsmore I love, love, love this book so far. Thanks for the recommendation. I can see why it's one of your favourties. The characters are wonderful and Furlong's attention to detail is admirable.

Lilly Era Danika wrote: "I love, love, love this book so far. Thanks for the recommendation. I can see why it's one of your favourties. The characters are wonderful and Furlong's attention to detail is admirable."

I'm glad you're enjoying the book so much! :D It really is a great one.