Ann's Reviews > Amelia Bedelia

Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: easy-reader, k-6, picture-books, the-help, preschool
Read on April 04, 2011

As a kid, I always thought these books were about a young Amelia Earhart. Therefore, you can tell I'd never read one before. I can see children thinking these are hilarious, but they would have frustrated me, and nothing really wowed me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Bedelia.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Brenna (new)

Brenna I loved Amelia Bedelia! I loved her literalism.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann I think that's would have driven me nuts as a kid! I kept thinking "This is funny" but there was a lingering frustration the whole time that I couldn't get past. Too OCD, I guess :)

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I HATE Amelia Bedelia books (too annoyingly dense and won't ask a single question to help herself). And I hate reading them to kids because they don't understand them. "Dress the turkey? What does that even mean? Draw the curtains?? Huh???" I spend so much time trying to explain antiquated phrasing, and by the time I'm done explaining, my kids are saying "Can we read something else?". Maybe older (10+) kids would understand them, but then A.B. is located in the picture books section, so that doesn't help.

My kids have never requested Amelia Bedelia books, despite having seen/read several titles, so it leaves me believing that this is one of those series that adults think is "a hoot," but the kids really couldn't care less.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (And *The Stupids* and *Dumb Bunnies* are both funnier. Try reading those to an 8-year-old. You'll be wiping tears from your eyes and your sides will hurt, because the 8-year-old's laughter will crack you up so much.)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Interesting! I kept thinking "But she ruined this for them...Oh, that can't be fixed." I guess it could teach about the English language, but yeah, little kids won't get the jokes.

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie I loved this book as a kid! I don't think I would enjoy it as much as an adult, but I do have fond memories of it still.