Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: snorgasm
Read in April, 2011

Cover your eyes children… you do not want to read the bad words about to assault your innocent psyche:

What the fcuk is this siht?

The first time I read this book I hated it. I was probably 12. But, as an adolescent I assumed I just didn't "get it." Everyone else loved it.

Since I seem to be on a ‘lets find old books from the ‘80’s jag at the flea market—I figured I might as well go with this one… again.

Unfortunately, now that I am older and wiser, I dislike this self-help puke even more. Perhaps when viewed in its historical context, being published in the mid '70s on the brink of all the self-help drivel that followed, it could be considered original or extraordinary. But to me, it was the opposite. It was as if Richard Bach was trying to incorporate every feel-good cliche and every religious idea into one marketable paperback.

Which is exactly what he did.

What a complete waste of paper. How come there are so many of these 70’s books still around? Did they print them on kryptonite paper? They never seem to disintegrate on the vast cultural garbage dump. I know publishers back then printed a bazillion copies – but, really? We are left with abundant copies of this crap, and I can’t find one copy of Moby Dick?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sherry Once in a blue moon, I find a book so horrible that I throw it in the garbage can. This would qualify.