Mandy's Reviews > The Reef

F 50x66
Apr 05, 2011

it was ok
Read from March 27 to 29, 2011 , read count: 1

I bought this book at the airport because I had finished my other book and had forgotten my second book at home. I knew it wasn't going to be the great American novel, but Nora Roberts, for what she does, usually delivers with a good beach read/plane read.

I have read some Nora Roberts in my day and this was definitely one of my least favorite. Well, of course I had to finish it. I mean, it's so easy to read and I bought the freaking book. But most Nora Roberts books, I want to go back and re-read. This one I just wanted it over with the first time. I couldn't even get myself to finish it when I was home sick.

The characters, particularly the evil villian, Silius was just entirely too much of a stock character--even for evil villian Nora Roberts style. I mean.... really. Give me a break.

While I get that the story was broken into three sections: past, present, and future, and knowing the first portion was "past" I got the point that the entire story wasn't going to take place in that time frame, and the relationship of the main characters was going to grow into something more adult. Reading of a 19 year old's crush on the 25 year old family friend was just awkward to read. And unrealistic, if I am allowed to object to that in a Nora Roberts book.

If you are looking for a beach read or airport read, move along and pick up a better Nora Roberts book like say.... any other one that must be out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reef.