Joey Manley's Reviews > The Goblin Market

Apr 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 05 to 23, 2011

Talented writer with a lot of potential but sorely in need of an editor, or a better editor. That's becoming a bit of a cliche when people talk about indie books. But yeah. To be clear: I'm not talking about copy editing, though better copy editing would have been nice. I'm talking about story editing. As it stands, this is a book with a good beginning, a reasonably strong ending, but a long, muddy, tedious middle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goblin Market.

04/05/2011
04/07/2011
39.0% "So far its reminding me of those made-for-SyFy adaptations of The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. Not-bad ideas, somewhat careless execution, overall a decent time waster, but nothing more than that. Lots of fluffy, meaning-free sentences about feelings. Lots of gauzy dream sequences. Par for the genre, I guess. I can imagine it getting either a lot better or a lot worse as I get deeper into it."
04/13/2011
49.0% "Eh"
04/15/2011
83.0% "Got better. The wandering section was supposed to be tense but felt stretched out too thin. Things pick up nicely about the time that the minstrels show up. But too late to save this read? Maybe"