Elizabeth Scott's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Apr 05, 11

I don't know how to star this book, so I'm not even going to try! It's definitely not like anything I've ever read, and if you've ever thought your parents were strict with you, well, let's just say that this book will show you that they could have been a lot stricter. A LOT.

I liked reading about Amy Chua's parenting ideas, and it was very interesting to see how they played out with both of her daughters. (And her dogs!!)

I was interested that her husband, who is pretty well known in his own right, doesn't appear much in the book, but from what Chua says at the end, I think that was deliberate.

Overall, like I said, I have no idea how to star this book. I think Chua demanded a lot from her daughters and, in turn, from herself.

Perhaps it's telling that the most beautifully written passage in the book is actually written by one of her daughters, about playing a piece of music for an audience and how, at that moment, the piece no longer belongs to her as she's practiced and practiced, but is set free. It's really gorgeous and I thought it was the most striking passage in the book, because everyone has that moment, I think, the moment where you have to let what you have go because it's how it's supposed to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milly (new)

Milly This will probably hit too close to home for me. Thanks for sharing your review and bringing this book to my attention.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Scott Thank you, Milly!