Kristy's Reviews > Steel

Apr 06, 11

liked it
bookshelves: historical, i-think-you-should-read-this
Read from April 05 to 06, 2011

Well, shiver me timbers: this was better than I had expected matey.

The Good:
C’mon it’s about pirates!!!!!
Female “hero” who actually fights
The rapier’s story and history
The characters
Feeling connected to our main character and knowing what she was thinking and feeling.
It was fun.
Original.

The bad:
A little bit “pirates of the Caribbean” girl-style for me. And, the fact that in the Author’s Notes in the back she specifically says her pirates are not “movie-pirates”. Disagree.
It wasn’t as exciting as you’d think, there wasn’t as much fighting, stealing, boozing it up and getting rowdy as you would think.
A little to ‘girl power’ with the captain being a strong woman as well as Jill.
The light dusting of a love story was just a little too weak, I wasn’t expecting marriage or anything, but she kept hinting at Jill and Henry, so it felt like it would go somewhere.
Predictable.
Even though it was fun, at times I found myself skimming pages and getting a little bored with the monotonous routine the book fell into.

Should you read this, you ask? I’d say yes. It is very quick and easy to read. It’s definitely not a ‘classic’, but it was good, clean fun. If you liked “Voices of Dragons” I believe you would like this one.

I will leave you with a pirate joke, just because I’m crazy like that:
Why could the pirate not get into the movie?
Because it was rated ARRRRRRRR!!!!!
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah M This looks like a fun read!:)

Grace Townsend At least she actually looked up stuff. That`s a true writer. You can`t just sit down and write, making things up as you go. She looked up real facts.
It was very good, but the only thing I didnt like was the ending. I mean, it makes total sense because of the fact that throughout the book Jill is saying, "I want to go home, how do I get home?" constantly. And the beginning she was a bit too competitive. But it was a great read.