Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Apr 05, 11

Read in March, 2011

Whoooo... The wind carries the cries of all those dead soldiers hung by their necks in the forested hill not too far from a farm. A creepy beginning for a creepy story. Well, that is the flavor, though not a verbatum quote. As in olden days when a farmer had more than one son, the eldest inherited the farm and the others were "farmed out" to other apprenticeships. This is the story of a seventh son of a seventh son, chosen so by the mother who suffered seven children in order to have the last one and give him away to a Spook for training. The mother herself is one of those old and wise women with more in her pocket of lore than the average farm wife. It is full of "hold your breath" adventures and though I wanted to read it laying down on my couch, I found myself on the rim of my seat worried sick about how the adventures would end. Nicely done! Credible from beginning to end, and with enough exciting side stories to make me want to be in the story and yet happy to be sitting on my couch as well. I will definitively read the next one in the series. Good to read out loud to the family on Halloween while picnicking on an old farm's pumpkin lot! (344 pgs)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.